16.12.11

reading lust

I think these fools are all great writers. Great because they can spin stories like gold, but also great because they write with such consistency, that even if its made up it rings true like something we've heard before and know to be.

Jim Harrison, The Great Leader. A boyfriend in Montana introduced me and I will always be grateful. Reading Harrison is like reading a story written about yourself. That sounds a bit narcissistic, but I just mean that his characters are so totally a part of each of us.

Miranda July, Learning to Love you More. Duh.

Christopher Hitchens, Letters to a Young Contrarian. Hitchens, a smart man, a better writer and someone who trusted himself. I didn't agree with everything he wrote, but I loved to read it and it made me think which is most important.

Sam Lipsyte, The Ask. Just got a notice from the library that this was in. Yes.

And three who I haven't read before...

Tina Fey, BossyPants. Before she turns it into a movie.

Colson Whitehead, Zone One. Blame NPR.

Abraham Verghese, Cutting for Stone. Blame BookClub.

I'm excited for this winter's reading list: chai, fireside, dog, book, done.

No comments: